{Review} The Collector by: Victoria Scott

12:00 AM

Number of Pgs.: 352
Publication date: March 25, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Supernatural, YA, Paranormal
How I got the copy: Bought
Rating:  4 Stars
From Goodreads:

He makes good girls...bad. 

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.
Plot: 8/10
Characters: 8/10
Setting: 8/10
Pacing: 9/10
Style: 9/10
Cover:  I like the hot guy on the cover of course, but I kind of wished they had incorporated more red or Dante's Red chucks! But I like the rays behind him.  I think that's supposed to be people's soul lights.
42+50=92 (5 Stars)

     Cue Cobra Starship's song Good Girls Go Bad and you have Dante's theme song.  He makes them good girls go bad.  Which at first made me not like him.  The first few chapters his only redeeming quality was his love for red Converse sneakers (boys in Converse are my weakness).  He was just so full of himself, rude, and an overall jerk.  And while I know a lot of reviews I read gave this book a low rating because of him, I thought his personality made perfect sense.  He works for the devil.  He wouldn't have gotten that job if he wasn't a jerk.  And let's be real, we've all had judgey thoughts like Dante had at some point about another person.  The only difference is that we just keep them to ourselves.  But Dante evolves over the course of the book and by the end I really liked him!  I also enjoyed that this was a male pov because those are very rare these days.  He's snarky which I enjoyed, but I'll admit there were times I thought a few of his lines were a little cheesy.  

     Charlie was such an unusual heroine.  She's not "pretty" in society's standards, but she is gorgeous on the inside.  I thought she was a little too trusting, but I was kind of naive like that in High School too unfortunately.  I loved that her character grew through the story too not just Dante.  I wanted to know more of her back story so I hope we learn more in book two.  Her friends Annabelle and Blue were such unique characters too and very realistic to High Schoolers.  I don't know why, but the whole book I kept suspecting people to be collectors.  I guess I just don't trust anyone these days...even grandmas apparently.

    If you like Sweet Evil you should definitely try this one.  It's similar in the sense that the main guy's job is to corrupt the sweet girl.  Unlike Sweet Evil, there's not much romance in this one.  I wanted more, but at the same time I hate insta-love so I was kind of glad their relationship developed at a slower pace.


     The ending was so fast paced with lots of twists and I couldn't find a spot to put it down.  I had the news going in the background all day (I'm writing this on Fri April 20th), but this was a perfect distraction.  It reminded me there are good people in the world and I can be one of them.  I can volunteer and help people...and maybe in doing so I can influence others to do the same like Charlie does.  I'm glad I bought this book and can't wait for book two. 


“I wake up feeling like I spent the last three days in a massage parlor. My muscles are relaxed, and I feel refreshed, like I could climb Mount Everest or build an ark or cure the world of minivans.” 
― Victoria ScottThe Collector

“In this trunk," she says with a serious face, "is God's gift to women."
"Chocolate?"
"No."
"Midol?"
"What? No."
"Tampons?"

"Stop guessing," she says.” 



4 Stars
3.5 Stars
    


      

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images