Review: The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by: Lynn Weingarten

1:30 PM

Title: The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers


Author: Lynn Weingarten

  • Publisher: HarperTeen

  • Publication date: December 27, 2011

  • # Of Pages: 352 Hardcover

  • How I got the copies: Library


My Rating: 3/5 Stars

  • Goodreads/B&N/Amazon
    Goodreads Summary:
    If there’s an upside to having your heart broken, it’s this: A broken heart makes you brave. The first day of sophomore year doesn’t go the way Lucy planned. After a summer apart from her boyfriend, she’s ready to greet him with a special surprise and instead gets a shocking one in return: He’s breaking up with her. Beyond devastated, Lucy has no idea how she’s going to make it through homeroom, let alone the rest of her life. Enter three stunning girls with the unnatural ability to attract boys and an offer Lucy can’t refuse: They can heal her heart in an instant. And then she’ll be one of them—a member of a sisterhood that is impervious to heartbreak and has access to magic distilled from the tears of brokenhearted boys. But to gain their power, Lucy must get a guy to fall in love with her the old-fashioned way, and then break his heart in the next seven days. While the sisterhood may need another Heartbreaker, Lucy’s only desire is to get her ex back. But how far is she willing to go, and who is she willing to cross to get what she wants?

    My Review: 
    þFun concept/plot
    þColorful characters
    This book was not what I expected, and unfortunately I mean that in a bad way.  I thought this book would be about a girl who has to make a guy fall in love with her to get magic to protect her heart and along the way she would really fall for him in return.  I thought it would be a YA love story, but I was wrong.  Instead the message I took away was: It's better to have never loved at all than to have loved and lost.  And also self confidence matters more than looks to boys.  I'm not sure I agree with either of those statements, but I did appreciate the  female empowerment the author tried to communicate.  I don't think relationships should be a power struggle though.  Relationships should be equal.  But I digress.  

    I liked that the characters were all different.  Lucy is quiet, whiny, not confident, and clingy.  Liza is rude, obnoxious, and a somewhat decent person trying to hide her insecurities.  Gil reminded me of Alice from Twilight.  She's fun, always smiling, and positive.  Olivia, well I don't really remember anything about her.  At times the dialogue between these four was funny and entertaining.  I also liked the concept behind the book.  The idea of never having your heart broken again by breaking someone else's sounds interesting.  Although all three girls that had the protection on their heart didn't have boyfriends so why have the protection if you're not going to even try to date?  I think the main reason I didn't like this book is because I couldn't relate.  I'm six years older than the main character and I know that a boy breaking up with you is not the end of the world.  So when she was depressed about Alex I almost couldn't stand it.  I wanted to snap her out of it.  I guess this is the only disadvantage to reading YA as an adult.  If you're actually a young adult I suggest you give this book a try and decide for yourself.  

    Read More Reviews of This Book:



 Id So Rather Be Reading

Read more about this author:


Quotes:
“The most important thing is believing your beautiful. The benefit of improving one's looks lies largely therein.” 
― Lynn WeingartenThe Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers


You Might Also Like:
  


Have you read this book?  What did you think?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images