Review: Hex Hall by: Rachel Hawkins

4:03 PM


Title: Hex Hall

Author: 
Rachel Hawkins

  • Publisher: 
    Hyperion Book CH

  • Publication date: March 2, 2010

  • # Of Pages: 336 Hardcover

  • How I got the copies: Library

My Rating: 5/5 Stars (I would give it more if I could)
  • Goodreads Summary
    Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
    By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
    As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
    My Review: 
    þWitches, Demons, Vampires, Shapeshifters, etc.
    þMystery 
    þMagical new world and school
    þHumor
    To be honest,  I didn't expect much from this book.  I read it because it was the book of the month for my goodreads group.   This is why I love book clubs.  If I wasn't in one I would have never read this book and I would have been missing out.  Rachel Hawkins was able to produce a new magical world that is unlike Hogwarts or any other magical school you might have read about.  What makes it so different?  It feels exactly the same as any human boarding school, but the students there just happen to do magic.  I loved the different types of students.  Elodie is the typical witch with a capital B, well actually she is a witch in a coven, but you get my point that she's the snotty pretty girl who makes the main character's life hell.  Archer is your typical hot sexy warlock.  He is so swoon worthy Sophie's roommate, Jenna, says there should be a class on it.  Jenna, the vampire, was one of my favorite characters.  Jenna is really funny and a great friend.  Too bad she is also the one being accused of killing her old roommate Holly.  We see her through Sophie's eyes which are different than the others at the school, because unlike other students Sophie was raised by a human.  Sophie is hilarious with her 16 year old mind and somewhat angsty thoughts.  She kind of reminded me of Jessica Darling from Sloppy Firsts.  Here are a few lines that had me laughing:

    “I wondered if they had rehearsed this weird three-way-talking thing they had going on. I imagined them sitting in a circle in their dorm room, brushing their hair and saying, "Okay, so I'll say we feel bad, and then you'll say that your hot boyfriend thinks she's pathetic.”   


    Just before I could do something super lame like spread my arms wide and burst into the chorus of Colors of the Wind, I heard a voice say, 'Why aren't you in class?'
    I turned around to see the grounds keeper, Cal, standing behind me.
    ... 
    "Relax.  I'm not a psycho."
    "I know that," I snapped.  "You're the healing janitor dude."
    "Groundskeepr."
    "Isn't that like a janitor?"
    "No, it's like a groundskeeper."
    ...
    "So if you can heal with your touch, why are you working here as like, Hagrid or whatever?"

    The mystery that Sophie wants to figure out is what kept the book interesting.  There were so many clues dropped throughout the book, but I didn't realize it until halfway through.  Then I started accusing everyone of being the one who killed Holly.  But when more attacks start happening to other girls, I started to use my skills that I've learned from watching too much NCIS and Law and Order.  I thought about each character and what they had done or said so far.  I'm way too proud of this, but I figured out some of the mystery before it happened.  There was still one part that completely hit me out of nowhere and I was glad that the author still threw in surprises.  

    If you haven't read this series I encourage you to go to the library or store and get it right now.  I can't believe I almost didn't read it.  I'm glad the other two books already came out so I don't have to wait! 

    Read More Reviews of This Book:



Steph's StacksWicked Awesome Books

Read more about this author:


Quote:

”You’re just not used to meeting women who don’t fall all over your all like you’re in a boy band or something,” I said when our laughter had subsided a little.
I’d turned back to my essay, so I had to look up when I realized he hadn’t answered me.
He was looking at me with a small smile, a strange glint in his eye. ”So why didn’t you?”
“Excuse me?”
“Well, according to you, women are always falling over me. So why didn’t you? Not your type?”
I took a deep breath and hoped he didn’t notice. Weird little moments like this one were getting too common with Archer and me. Maybe it was all the time we spent together alone in the cellar, or how familiar we’d gotten with each other’s bodies while kicking the crap out of each other in Defense, but I was beginning to notice a subtle shift in our relationship. I wasn’t delusional enough to believe that he actually liked me or anything, but flirting had definitely entered the picture. It left me feeling strange and totally unsure of myself in moments like these.
“Nope,” I finally said, striving for a light tone. “I’ve always had a thing for the nerdy type. Arrogant pretty boys don’t really ring my bell.”
“So you think I’m pretty?”
“Shut up.”
~Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Pg. 205-206

You Might Also Like:
  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Have you read this series yet?  What are your thoughts?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images