{Review} Just One Day by: Gail Foreman

12:00 AM


Pages: 400
Publication date: August 20, 2013
Publisher: Speak
How I got the copy: bought
Rating:  10 out of 5 Stars
  
  
From Goodreads:
Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the "accidents” of fate, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.
  The first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!

Let's start out with a tweet I wrote a few minutes after I finished reading and collected my jaw from where it had fallen to the floor.

    And I'm pretty sure I'm still rocking in a corner as I write this.  I have never had so many feels.  I didn't think this kind of adrenaline and anger and happiness and pride and sadness and all of that could be bundled into one book.  But seriously it really got me.

The main character, Allyson, was easy for me to connect with right away.  I went to Europe on a school trip too and I also was very straight laced for most of high school.  So when she wants to just throw caution to the wind...for just one day...I totally get it.  Not saying I'd run off with a stranger, but hey if he's that cute and has an accent who knows.  Willem is funny and sweet, yet he's got such a player/bad boy thing going on.  And he's worldly which makes him hotter.  But I liked that he had flaws and that the author keeps us guessing the whole time about who he really is as a person.  Is he a player or not?

I loved that this was more of a self discovery journey.  Allyson truly finds herself.  And I loved watching her friendship change with her bff, Melanie.  I grew apart from my best friend freshman year of college and then reconciled later too.  I love that this was sort of NA even though it's not marketed as that.  Gail Forman's sneaky like that.  She also snuck in a lot about Shakespeare.  Did you know She's The Man (with Amanda Bynes) is a retelling of Twelfth Night?  *mind blown*

The writing is phenomenal.  I wish I had sticky noted it because there were so many quotes I loved.  I'm debating a reread soon just so I can do that.  I definitely will be reading book two and I own If I Stay so I'll be starting that "series" soon too.  I need someone to talk about this book with so if you've read it an you wanna talk tweet me @HarleyBearBooks!  If you haven't read it go get it right now!
“Part of me knows one more day won't do anything except postpone the heartbreak. But another part of me believes differently. We are born in one day. We die in one day. We can change in one day. And we can fall in love in one day. Anything can happen in just one day.” 
― Gayle FormanJust One Day

“What is the real question is not whether to be, but how to be?” 
― Gayle FormanJust One Day

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images