End of the Year Survey 2013

12:25 AM

Because this was so much fun last year.  Thanks Jamie for making such a fun survey every year!

Best YA book 2013


1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Contemporary YAHopeless by Colleen Hoover (The Feels!!!!)
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
ParanormalOrigin by JLA
Science FictionUnraveling by Elizabeth Norris or Pivot Point by Kasie West
FantasyThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and Sentinel by JLA

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

    
I love the covers of these, but the content wasn't what I expected at all.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

I only read Golden because it was chosen for my book club's book of the month, but I am sooooo glad I did.  I ended up adoring this book and I was pleasantly surprised by that.

 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

I know everyone talks about The Fault in our Stars, but I seriously can't recommend it enough.  It helped me through hard times and it's very powerful.  Everyone should experience it once.

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

I started the Grisha series this year and WOW you guys.  It was my first real Fantasy book and holy moly I'm glad I picked that one to start with.  AMAZING.

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

I'm obssessed with Sarah J. Maas after reading Throne of Glass this year.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

I'm not a big Sci Fi lover, but I loved The 5th Wave so much!

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

 I read Goodbye Rebel Blue in almost one sitting.  It was so funny, but had such a powerful message.

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I already have my re-read of the Mara Dyer series set up before book 3 comes out!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

The cover of Dead Ends is what made me want to read it.  It's like a metaphor.

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Celaena in Throne of Glass is so kick ass and strong and lethal.  Yet she also loves books and dresses.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Taherah Mafi knows how to write.  Unravel Me is like poetry it's so beautifully written.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

If you want to know why watch this video I made.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Someone please tell me why I waited so long to start the Across The Universe series?!

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?


Loved the book Parallel

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Longest: The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Shortest: Besides novellas Losing It  by Cora Cormack

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!


Enough said.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Warner and Juliette's "relationship" whatever it may be...frienamies?

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Any book by JLA really, but I especially loved Wait For You!

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Angela told me to read Hazards of Skinny Dipping and at first I was reluctant, but I ended up loving it.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

I don't feel like looking it up but probably Dystopian.  Surprise surprise.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Dorian from Throne of Glass.  I'm just finishing up that book right now and love him.  Or do I love Chaol? I can't pick!!!

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Reboot was reallllly good.  It was such an original idea.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

I'll go with Ender's Game.  That ish was cray.  I loved the space parts.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

I lol-ed a lot while reading Losing It.  CAT!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

    
I have never cried so hard while reading like I did with Hopeless.  Like serious ugly crying occurred during this book.  And Every Little Piece got me pretty good too.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

I absolutely loved this book.  It was perfect for summer.  I'm not sure why people don't talk about it more.

reading-life-2013

(optional)

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 

I wrote my review of Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout at 3 in the morning when I was hyper and exhausted all at the same time so it's pretty funny.  My GIF reactions (non spoilery reviews) Sentinel and Allegiant

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

I talked about how Pride and Prejudice is still really relevant today.  Society is still pressuring women to marry at a young age.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

Ariel Bisett the BookTuber talks about Reading in School.  She talks about Elementary, High, and Beyond.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I met Jennifer L. Armentrout!!!!!!!
my life=complete

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

Meeting Teresa and Betty at the JLA signing.  I'd never met any bloggers in real life before so it was so much fun!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

People seemed to like me What Should You Read Next Flow Chart

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

The Random # Survey that I created was a lot of fun, but I wish more people had done it.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

My cousin and I discovered two used bookstores that I got so many amazing books at.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I finished my Goodreads goal of 100  books.  I think I read somewhere around 115 with re-reads.  I read way over my goal of 20,000 words for the Pg Count goal.  My series challenge went...okay. haha I started more series than finished.

2014-books


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

Graceling.  Lindsay has been trying to get me to read this forever and she said she'll buddy read it with me so if I don't read it in Dec it's my first priority in Jan.  Also, Frigid because I need more JLA in my life.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday Books I'm Dying For.  There's too many!

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

I really want to read Dorothy Must Die.  It sounds epic.

 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

I need Retribution of Mara Dyer right now!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

 I definitely want to meet and work with more bloggers.  I plan on going to BEA next year and maybe some more signings.

I also hope to grow our BookBFF YouTube channel.


You Might Also Like

14 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images