{Review} The Evolution of Mara Dyer

12:00 AM

Number of Pgs.: 544
Publication date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster 
Genre: YA, Mystery, Paranormal, Supernatural, Thriller
How I got the copy: Bought
Rating:  5 Stars
From Goodreads:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Setting: 10/10
Pacing: 10/10
Style: 10/10
Cover:  I love the covers for this series.  The color in this one is perfect.  It's dark and sets the mood of the book.  It also reminds me of the color of the dress she wears during the amazing beach scene.
48+50=98 (5 Stars)

    Wow.  Ladies and gentlemen I think I just found my new favorite series.  This book really messed with my mind, but in a good way.  I didn't know what was real and what was hallucinations.  I love that slowly pieces of the puzzle are starting to make sense.  I was a little confused with the flashbacks with India though so I hope that's clarified in book three. 

     While we're on this journey with Mara to unravel these secrets of her past, we are also getting a better understand of Noah and his pain.  I was able to predict a few minor things, but overall I was really surprised where Michelle went with the story.  While talking to Judy over at Paper Riot (you can find her review below), we discussed how it felt like there was a genre shift in this story.  I loved that though.

     Noah is just so swoon-worthy it's a tad ridiculous.  He's up there next to Daemon and Aiden on my list of book boyfriends I wish were real.  And Mara's a great character too.  She's a little self deprecating and whiny in this one by thinking she deserves bad things to happen to her.  But I guess if I was doing what she was I'd hate myself too.  I like that there were some new characters introduced and some old favorites, like Daniel, were back and didn't disappoint.  I love that Mara's family seems to be really close.  You don't see that much in YA books anymore.

     This book was the perfect balance of humor, steamy romantic scenes, and action.  There was some paranormal/sci fi thrown in and mystery as well.  Be warned though, there is a cliffhanger...I'm pretty sure I need book three asap.  Standing ovation for Michelle Hodkin!




Addie from Bookworm Recommendations: 5 Stars
Judy from Paper Riot: 4 Stars
Blythe from Finding Bliss in Books: 3 Stars





      

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images