{Review} Wild Awake by Hilary Smith

12:00 AM

Number of Pgs.: 400
Publication date: May 28, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Mystery
How I got the copy: Won from April
Rating:  3 Stars
  

From Goodreads:
Things you earnestly believe will happen while your parents are away:
1. You will remember to water the azaleas.
2. You will take detailed, accurate messages.
3. You will call your older brother, Denny, if even the slightest thing goes wrong.
4. You and your best friend/bandmate Lukas will win Battle of the Bands.
5. Amid the thrill of victory, Lukas will finally realize you are the girl of his dreams.
Things that actually happen:
1. A stranger calls who says he knew your sister.
2. He says he has her stuff.
3. What stuff? Her stuff.
4. You tell him your parents won’t be able to—
5. Sukey died five years ago; can’t he—
6. You pick up a pen.
7. You scribble down the address.
8. You get on your bike and go.
9. Things . . . get a little crazy after that.*
*also, you fall in love, but not with Lukas.

Plot: 3/10
Characters: 3/10
Setting: 6/10
Pacing: 7/10
Style: 8/10
Cover:  The orange stands out among all those blue, black, and white covers that seem to be gracing the shelves these days.  I like that the girls hair has fluidity and seems wild...like the title suggests.
27+50=77 (3 Stars)

    In the notes that I took while reading the first few chapters, I actually wrote "Wtf did I just get myself into?".  I think that pretty much sums up my experience with this book.  I was thoroughly confused by the main character, yet highly entertained and intrigued at what she'd do next.  The underlying mystery of how her sister died and then what Skunk was hiding kept me turning pages.  And author takes her time revealing pieces to the puzzle so that your curiosity is killing you by the time you find out.

     But I just couldn't get past my dislike for the main character.  She has no self-preservation at all.  And what's worse is what happens is not realistic.  She goes to the ghetto to a hotel and trusts random strangers, at night, and didn't tell anyone where she was going.  And yet she manages not to get raped and chopped up into pieces and thrown into a ditch.  I understood she needed answers about her sister's death, but it just seemed so unrealistic and out of character for her since the beginning of the book she's little miss perfect.  I also get that the truth "wakes her up" and she kind of loses her mind from being lied to for so long.   It did make for an entertaining book, but personally it didn't work for me.


     What I did enjoy was the character Skunk.  He was like a big teddy bear, or a love bison as I think Kiri refers to him.  He's quirky and kind.  I'd never read another character like him before--especially not a love interest.  I also liked the author's writing style.  I think this is what kept me from DNFing the book the most.  Her writing is so descriptive and flows so poetically.  She uses a lot of similes which helped me become part of the story instead of just being an observer.  However, there was a simile every other sentence it seemed.  It got a bit excessive after awhile.  I was reading an ARC though so maybe the final copy was different.  


      If you can get past all the cray cray, the writing is worth it.  It was hands down the weirdest book I have ever read, but it was somehow captivating, entertaining, and interesting.





Blythe from Finding Bliss In Books: 5 Stars
Keertana from Ivy Book Bindings: 4 Stars
Jenny from Supernatural Snark: 3 Stars
Eileen from Singing And Reading in the Rain: 1 Star



      

You Might Also Like

12 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images