{Review} Reboot by: Amy Tintera

12:00 AM

Pages: 365
Publication date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
How I got the copy: Won 
Rating:  4 Stars
  
     
From Goodreads:
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).
Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.
The perfect soldier is done taking orders.


    There was this void in me ever since I read The Immortal Rules that was dying for another kickass heroine that didn't need saving from any guy.  Reboot finally filled that void and did it while providing laughter and suspense too.  

    Wren, One Seventy Eight, was such a fun character.  She's this short blonde thing, but she's also deadly lethal.  She was really complex because she was dead so long before she rebooted that she's hardly human anymore.  Yet when she does start feeling more emotions it was so easy  to connect with her and like her.  Although it was hilarious when she didn't get why Callum, Twenty-two, thought she was strange/funny at times.  Here's an example:

"Try not to scream when I break your bones. It bothers me. You can cry if you want; that's fine."
He burst out laughing. I didn't realize that was a funny statement.
"Got it," he said, trying unsuccessfully to cover his grin. "Screaming, no. Crying, yes.".  -Reboot

   Their chemistry was palpable.  Callum was adorable in a...I want to pinch your cheeks...kind of way.  There were times I wished he wasn't such a wimp, but I like that the author stayed true to his character.  He was from the richer part of town so it made sense that he might not have had to fight much in his human life. Their dynamic reminded me of Allison and Zeke from The Immortal Rules so much.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  

   The world building wasn't necessarily lacking, but I just wished there was more of it.  I wanted to know about what happened when the virus spread.  It seemed very rushed when it's explained and I didn't really understand how the world went from what we live in today to her world.  Hopefully book two goes more in depth.

    My only annoyance was that all the main reboots had different numbers and that seemed oddly convenient.  No one else woke up at the same time? I understand that would be confusing...just sayin'. 

   If you're looking for lots of action, a little humor, a strong chemistry, and an original concept this is definitely a book for you.  Even if none of that sounds appealing I'd still recommend it that's how much I enjoyed it.    

“Want to dance?" He scooped me into his arms before I could reply. "We have music this time. And I don't have to punch you when we finish."
"You don't have to. But if I step on your feet too many times you can feel free.” 
― Amy TinteraReboot
Jessie from Ageless Page Reviews: 4 Stars
Jenni from Alluring Reads: 3 Stars


You Might Also Like

4 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images