{Review} Splintered by: A.G. Howard

12:00 AM

Number of Pgs.: 371 
Publication date: January 1, 2013
Publisher: A. G. Howard
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Fairytale Retelling
How I got the copy: library
Rating:  3.5/4 stars
From Goodreads:

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
Plot: 5/10
Characters: 7/10
Setting: 8/10
Pacing: 7/10
Style: 5/10
Cover: Even after staring at this cover for months in anticipation, I still think it's gorgeous.  I love how all the colors pop.  Feels like it should be holographic or something.
32+50=82 (4 Stars)

After talking about how excited I was for this book for almost a full year...
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I almost DNFed this book.
Why you ask?  I was having trouble getting into the story.  The first half of the book was kind of slow and there was hardly any action.  I was confused because I thought I signed up for a book that took place in Wonderland and I didn't want to wait 100 pages to get there.  Once I got past the first half of the book I literally could not put it down.  I read the last 200 pages in one sitting and stayed up  late.  It wasn't until the last few chapters that I was incredibly hooked and decided I'd continue the series.  I havvveee to know who Alyssa decides to be with and what Wonderland holds in the future.

Alyssa was such a unique character.  She's more of a tomboy which you hardly ever see in YA, even books where the main character is kick ass.  Alyssa skateboards, blue highlights and dreadlocks her hair(is that even a verb?).  Once she's in Wonderland she has a pretty funky outfit that I plan to try to create for my next Passion for Bookish Fashion so keep an eye out for that.  It involves striped socks!  I found it hard to connect with her character though.  I think she didn't really have any layers.  Even though she was unique she was kind of bland.  Her character did really grow up and change which I enjoyed watching.

Jeb is the "bad" boy who under his appearance is actually a goody two shoes.  He is Alyssa's protector.  And while she has feelings for him, we're not really sure what he feels for her.  I wanted to punt him across the lawn when he was saying she shouldn't go to London with him.  At least she stood up for herself and didn't get all Bella Swan and let him dictate her life.  I liked that his character developed as the story went on.

Morpheus was that character that you want to punch in the face and make out with all at the same time.  He kind of reminded me of Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow.  I had a hard time picturing what he looked like though.  But he had a british accent so does it really matter?!  


I had a few problems with Wonderland too.  I had a hard time picturing it.  I felt like there was more emphasis on plot than anything else.  And I'm one of those people that likes enough description that I can picture the surroundings and characters.  I'm not really familiar with the original story except from the Disney and Tim Burton films, but I thought it was cleverly different from the movies.  It took all the elements and made them a little darker and different. Like the White Rabbit is really Rabid White, a sickly gross creature.
"it was adrenaline. That's all. We were just happy to be alive. No worries. What happens in Wonderland stays in Wonderland ,right?-140

"find your courage. Look down. Your show is about to begin."
I shake my head, eyes clamped tightly. "we're too high...it makes my stomach kick."
He laughs and inhales a puff off the hookah then blows the smoke over me,saturating me in the comforting scent. "that's how you know you're alive, Alydda. The kicks."-174
        

I met her on a twitter chat the other night and she's really nice!
     

You Might Also Like

11 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images