{Review} The Madman's Daughter by: Megan Shepherd

12:26 AM


Number of Pgs. 432 (Hardcover)
Publication date: June 29, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: YA, Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, Mystery, Horror
How I got the copy:  Won from Epic Reads!
Rating:  4 Stars
From Goodreads:
In the darkest places, even love is deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.

I've been using a new way of reviewing that I saw over at Making the Grade.  It breaks the book down and makes it easier to rate.  The way it works is each category gets a score out of ten points.  Then you add them all up + 50 (50% automatically for each book) and that's your score out of 100.
8/10:  I'm surprised to say that I like the Historical Fiction genre now!  Especially ones that have mystery aspects to them like this one did.  This story was not predictable.  When things were revealed later in the book I was like "Why didn't I see that coming?!"  I love when stories are able to trick me.  This book was equal parts creep and thrilling.   
7/10: Juliet is really bad ass for a female character in that time period.  She isn't afraid of much and is so strong from having to fend for herself at a young age.  Although her one weakness, her father, kept getting in the way of her seeing what was really going on.  But I get it. She wanted acceptance from the father she hadn't seen in years.

Edward was so mysterious.  He just shows up and I wanted to know more about him.  I was really surprised when more about him was revealed.  I honestly didn't see that coming.

Montgomery kinda reminded me of Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights.  He's the servant that the rich girl falls for.  

 8/10: The island is just so creepy...I loved it!  The dr. and Montgomery have been living in this fenced in house on the island while wild beasts run free outside.  It seemed like one of those places where even during the day it would give off a creeptastic vibe.  And at night while the dr. is operating screams pierce the night air.  Gives me chills just thinking about it.
6/10: This one took me a little while to get into, but the second I did I couldn't put it down.  
7/10:  I liked this author's style.  It was very descriptive (see quotes below).  She did a great job with the setting and giving off an overall eerie vibe to the whole story.  I'll definitely read other books by her.
If you like stories that'll give you goose bumps that will keep you guessing until the very end you should get this book.
86/100 

"At the end of the room, a shadowy figure stood over a wooden operating table surrouned by a lantern and candles on a high shelf.  The candlelight reflected in dozens of dark glass jars lining the wall, like the glowing prayer candles in a dark cathedral.  Only these jars didn't hold votives, but things I could only imagine.

Specimens.  Experiments.  Nightmares.


And the figure at the front, the unholy priest, was my father."

-----------------------------------------------
"I squeezed the knife harder.  Then I realized that anyone who saw the pile of pits would know I'd passed this way.

I threw them into the jungle to hide my trail...As I turned to go, one of the pits sailed back through the air in a graceful arc and landed at my feet.  


I clutched the knife and spun around.  Something was out there."

      
         


 

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images