{Review} Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

12:00 AM


Title: Cursed
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Number of Pgs. 288 Hardcover
Publication date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: YA
How I got the copy: Bought


From Goodreads:

Dying sucks-- and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. 

However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't? But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.


I've been using a new way of reviewing that I saw over at Making the Grade.  It breaks the book down and makes it easier to rate.  The way it works is each category gets a score out of ten points.  Then you add them all up + 50 (50% automatically for each book) and that's your score out of 100.

Plot 8/10: At first this plot seemed kind of predictable, like it had been done before.  Maybe that's because I love Shatter Me by Tareh Mafi and Cursed had a similar idea behind it.  The idea of not being able to touch another being without it dying (and also *SPOILER* the idea of a group of people with gifts living together and learning how to control it).  I did love how J.L.A. made this into more of a contemp type of novel with a touch of supernatural.  Also, the fact that Ember can't touch Hayden made the sexual tension so hot I was surprised the house didn't catch fire.

Characters 8/10: I was worried that the characters would be a lot like the Obsidian characters that I had just read, but they were very different.  The male lead, Hayden, was hot, but in a darker way.  Like you could tell he'd been through a hell of life.  And the mystery of his past made him that much more desirable.  Ember liked to wallow a lot about her curse, which was annoying at first, but I put myself in her shoes and realized I'd do the same thing.  And in her defense her life is uprooted and there's nothing she can do about it.  And she was really strong to have taken care of her sister the past two years.  Jonathan her new "father" is really creepy and I didn't trust him at all.  He was such a complex character.  The other gifted kids were entertaining and kind of reminded me of...dare I say it...the Cullens.  =X  Her sister Olivia is really creepy since she can bring back the dead.  I would be scared of her if I met her in real life.

Setting 8/10: The whole book took place in a town in West Virginia, just like Obsidian.  I wonder if she did that because that's where she's from.  I did enjoy the cabin in the woods were Hayden and Ember got a little steamy, but for the most part the scenery was kind of boring.  

Pacing 10/10: Usually her books start out slow, but after a few chapters this book really took off.  I loved that because I hate when books take too long to get to the point.  The ending was crazy fast paced and full of action.

Style 10/10: I just love her writing.  She could write a book about nothing and I'd buy it.  She mixes humor, romance, and suspense all in one.  She wrote such raw emotions in this book my eyes were tearing the whole time.  If you've ever disliked yourself for even a minute you'll be able to relate with Ember and her pain.  

Final Thoughts: This book wasn't as good as Obsidian, but it definitely was awesome.  I hope there is a second book because there were a few things that were left unexplained.  I was excited that I figured out who had caused the accident before it was revealed.  All that time spent watching shows like NCIS really paid off!  This book comes out tomorrow and I highly suggest you try it!  
Total: 94/100 
 
Don't wait to get this one.  
Pick up a copy tomorrow!







   
Facebook

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images