{Review} Onyx by Jennifer Armentrout

12:00 AM

Title: Onyx
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Number of Pgs. 366 
Publication date: August 14, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: YA
How I got the copy: Bought



From Goodreads:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


I've been using a new way of reviewing that I saw over at Making the Grade.  It breaks the book down and makes it easier to rate.  The way it works is each category gets a score out of ten points.  Then you add them all up + 50 (50% automatically for each book) and that's your score out of 100.

Plot 10/10: This plot was way more involved than Obsidian (Lux #1), yet somehow J.L.A found a way to squeeze in some even hotter romance scenes.  I loved how it picked up right where the first book left.  Since Katy has some sort of powers now she has to learn to control them.  I loved her hot and cold relationship with Daemon.  J.L.A is a genius!   

Characters 10/10: Katy changes yet again.  She's stronger which is great, but also more stubborn which that that gets her in more trouble.  She's still hilarious and easy to relate to.  Daemon is still smoking hot if not more so.  He's changed so much from book one, but in a good way.  He actually has emotions in this book.  And that is so sexy!  Blake is a new character and I couldn't tell if I should trust him.  I love characters like this because they always keep you on your toes.  He's a nice guy who likes Katy, but somehow I still loved Daemon's badass more.  This book also has the DOD (the government that monitors the aliens) and the Arum(enemies of the aliens like Daemon).  This made the book so much more interesting because they had to figure out what those two were up to.

Setting 10/10: This took place a lot at Katy's home and school, and a few other places around town, but I was okay with this being the only scenery.  It made it feel more like a contemporary novel than Sci Fi.  J.L.A makes a boring setting seem magical and exciting.

Pacing 10/10: It was the same as the first book where it's slow to start off, but halfway through the book it picks up speed.  The ending was just insane!  Again, I could not put this book down.  Read it in a day.

Style 10/10: This book had me laughing out loud.  I love Jennifer Armentrout's writing voice.  I love it so much I went out and bought three more of her books after reading Onyx!  She's possibly my new favorite author.  If you're going to read one of her books read this series first.  The writing is beautiful and steamy at the same time.  

Final Thoughts: I didn't think it was possible to love a book more than Obsidian, but this one definitely topped it.  I'm dying over here waiting for Opal to come out in December.  After finishing the last word of Onyx I immediately considered rereading the first two books.  And I totally would have if I didn't have a huge stack of books on my shelf to read. I just finished Cursed by J.L.A and I reviewed that yesterday!
Total: 100/100 
 
“Cookie?" he offered, holding a cookie full of chocolate chips.
Upset tummy or not, there was no way I could refuse that. "Sure."
His lips tipped up one side and he leaned toward me, his mouth inches from mine. "Come and get it."
Come and get...? Daemon placed half the cookie between those full, totally kissable lips.
Oh, holy alien babies everywhere...” 
― Jennifer L. ArmentroutOnyx

“We’re still going to be seeing each other,” he murmured. “And don’t even lie. I know that makes you happy, You told me you wanted me.”
Hold your horses. “When?”
“At the lake.” He slanted his headm and I should’ve pulled back. His lips curved knowingly against mine, and he let go of my wrist. “You said you wanted me.”
Both of my hand were on his chest. They had a mind of their own. I claimed no responsibility for them. “I had a fever. Lost my mind.”
“Whatever, Kitten.” Daemon gripped my hips, lifting me onto the edge of he desk with an ease that was disturbing. “I know better.” 
― Jennifer L. ArmentroutOnyx





   
Facebook

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images