{Review} Obsidian by: Jennifer Armentrout

12:00 AM


Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Number of Pgs. 271 ebook 
Publication date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: YA
How I got the copy: Bought


From Goodreads:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes.  Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating.  Arrogant.  Stab-worthy.  We do not get along.  At all.  But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You hear me.  Alien.  Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip.  The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


I'm going to try a new way of reviewing that I saw over at Making the Grade.  It breaks the book down and makes it easier to rate.  The way it works is each category gets a score out of ten points.  Then you add them all up + 50 (50% automatically for each book) and that's your score out of 100.

 My new favorite author
-  Hilarious, realistic, strong characters
-  Hot new romance

Plot 10/10: There's a lot of build up because it's the first book.  The beginning is just Katy getting used to the move to West Virginia and her fight/flirting with her new hot neighbor.  It was hilarious and hot and I didn't mind her taking awhile to develop their world.  When the action started it so captivating I couldn't put the book down even if I wanted to.  The first book only has one major obstacle that they're trying to solve, but in the second book sh** hits the fan and there are multiple obsticales.  I didn't mind that this book was kind of simple because it was the first book and the focus was more on the relationship and world building.

Characters 10/10: I've never wanted to be a character so bad before.  Katy has the perfect witty comeback for everything mean Dameon says!  Her character was so well developed and every action, word, and thought was true to her. At times she's stubborn which is annoying, but she's also finding out that she's really strong.  She's also a book blogger so of course I loved her.  Daemon is probably the hottest character I've ever read.  I wish he was real.  He has so many layers to him...a vulnerable side and a hot, cocky, side full of swagger.  Dee is the hyper best friend and Daemon's twin.  Without her this whole series wouldn't happen really.  

Setting 10/10: It felt like a contemporary novel.  She's just going about her new life and then BAM there's a bunch of Sci Fi thrown in.  I usually don't read sci fi, but I really enjoyed it in this normal type of setting.  The author is from W V.A. so it was probably pretty acurate and I think J. Armentrout did a great job describing the place.  I felt like I was there.  And at times, like when Daemon is walking around shirtless, I wished I was!

Pacing 10/10: It was pretty fast paced even during the beginning.  There were no filler scenes...everything had a purpose.  It really kept my attention the entire time.  A tornado could have blown through and I wouldn't have noticed.

Style 10/10: This author's voice is epic.  She's hilarious and so true to a teen's thought process and voice.  Her style is almost conversational.  I felt like I was really inside Katy's head the whole time.  There's cursing and lots of steamy scenes so if that's not what you're into this might not be for you.  As for me? I didn't mind. 

Final Thoughts: Extra scenes on J.A's website are in Daemon's point of view.  I loved getting to see a scene from his eyes and find out why he did some of those jerkface things.  I can't believe I waited so long to read this.  She is my new favorite author and I just bought a bunch of her other books.  GO READ IT NOW!!!!! You won't be sorry. 
Total: 100/100 


Side thoughts:  It kind of reminded me of twilight:
-someone stops a car from hitting them
-someone runs right into the bad guys arms to save someonelse
-someone has to keep a big secret from the world
There's more similarities in the second book too.

“Daemon: I checked out your blog.
Katy: Stalking me again, I see. Do I need to get a restraining order?
Daemon: In your dreams, Kitten. Oh wait, I'm already starring in those, aren't I?
Katy: Nightmares, Daemon. Nightmares.” 

“Because this absolutely insane - the craziest thing I'd ever done. Worse than giving a one-star review, scarier than asking for an interview with an author I'd give my firstborn to eat lunch with, more stupid than kissing Daemon.” 
― Jennifer L. ArmentroutObsidian

“I don’t know. I mean we haven’t talked about it. He literally left afterwards, and all he’s done since then is poke me with his pen.” “Probably because he wants to poke you with something else,” she said dryly” 
― Jennifer L. ArmentroutObsidian






You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images