{Review} Eve by: Anna Carey

12:00 AM

Pages: 336
Publication date: October 4, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
How I got the copy: Bought (Hardcover)
Rating:  3 Stars
  
     
From Goodreads:
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her. 

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
Plot: 5/10
Characters: 5/10
Setting: 5/10
Pacing: 6/10
Style: 7/10
Cover:  The colors drew me to the book right away.  I especially love the font and the way that it looks like the girl is running.  But I'm confused why the bridge doesn't have cars on it.
28+50=78 (3 Stars)


     My first thought upon finishing this book?  Crap, now I have to buy the rest of the books in this trilogy.  I find this funny for two reasons. 1. I didn't even want to read/buy the first book. and 2. For the first 100 or so pages of this book I hated the main character.  But somewhere along the lines I became engrossed in this story and captured by the suspense.  I couldn't stop reading.  

     Eve is frustrating at first because she is so naive.  It makes sense and I'm glad the author was true to the character, but there were so many times I wanted to reach through the pages and shake some sense into her.  I was so relieved when she realized her mistakes and I even cheered when she finally grew some courage.  

     Caleb was a great addition to the story, but that's all he really was.  Just an addition.  I kinda wish it had been split POV between the two of them because I felt he had a lot to tell and I wanted to know him more.  I also thought it would be nice to see what the world was really like through his eyes since Eve is so sheltered in the beginning.

     The world building is really interesting in this one.  I was having trouble with it because I found holes in the logic of it, but once I got past that I realized it was an interesting idea and just let my hesitations go.  I liked that the author took literature examples and twisted them to fit what the king wanted the girls to think.  Like how "Romeo seduced Juliet and led her to her death" because he wanted the girls to fear all men.  I hope book two and three explain more about this world and how the plague started it's destruction.

     If you like Delirium, The Host, Uglies, or Article 5 you should try this book.  And the best part is that all three books are already out so we don't have to wait to continue reading!  This one definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat, holding your breath, and wanting more.

“You can love anyone. Love is just caring about someone very deeply. Feeling like that
person matters to you, like your whole world would be sadder without them in it.” 
― Anna CareyEve
Michelle from In Libris Veritas : 3 Stars
Melissa from Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf: 3 Stars




You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images