{Review} Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

12:00 AM


Title: Deadlocked

Author: Charlaine Harris
Number of Pgs. 327 Hardcover 
Publication date: May 1, 2012
Genre: Adult Fiction
How I got the copy: Library



From Goodreads:

It's vampire politics as usual around the town of Bon Temps, but never before have they hit so close to Sookie's heart...

Growing up with telepathic abilities, Sookie Stackhouse realized early on there were things she'd rather not know.  And now that she's an adult, she also realizes that some things she knows about, she'd rather not see--like Eric Northman feeding off another woman.  A younger one.

There's a thing or two she'd like to say about that, but she has to keep quiet--Felipe de Castro, the vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), is in town.  It's the worst possible time for a human body to show up in Eric's front yard--especially the body of the woman whose blood he just drank.

Now, it's up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder.  Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl's fate has nothing to do with her.  But she is wrong.  She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who's set out to make Sookie's world come crashing down.


I'm going to try a new way of reviewing that I saw over at Making the Grade.  It breaks the book down and makes it easier to rate.  The way it works is each category gets a score out of ten points.  Then you add them all up + 50 (50% automatically for each book) and that's your score out of 100.

 hardly any Eric scenes =(
-  not too much going on in this one
-  mystery

Plot 3/10: I feel like at this point Charlaine Harris has run out of things to write about.  It's the 12th book and Sookie has been in too many near death situations to count by now.  This book was more of her going through her everyday life than it was about romance or action.   Nothing much happened.  There was still a mystery to be solved and I liked that it wasn't what I thought it would be in the end.  I hated the ending though.

Characters 5/10: I love the characters in these books, but this was the first Sookie Stackhouse book where no new characters were introduced.  If there had been any new characters I probably would give this a higher rating.  I also love Eric, and he was hardly in it, which made me sad. Sookie is starting to become thick skinned.  She doesn't even feel affected when people being murdered anymore and that's not the Sookie I used to know. Also, there was no new mythical creature introduced which was strange.  

Setting 4/10: This book takes place in Bon Temps the whole time.  I'm getting kind of bored of Bon Temps.  I loved the books in the series that went other places, like the convention.  I thought she would go to Faery land, but nope, she stayed in her town the whole time.

Pacing 5/10: It was slower paced than other Sookie books.  I like when she's fighting vamps, and hooking up with Eric, and going on missions.  There was only one real action packed scene and it lasted two seconds.  

Style 8/10: I like that in Charlaine's books you always know what you're going to get.  Sookie's character is so consistent that it's like visiting an old friend every time I read one of these books.  Sookie's thoughts are always pretty funny and make me smile.  Overall the writing is kind of simple, but I think it goes well with Sookie's character.

Final Thoughts: If I could go back, I'd skip this one.  I have too many other books to read and this one wasn't really anything new or exciting...a disappointment. 
Total: 75/100 


  
                                    
“It’s called Two and a Half Men,” Dermot was telling his guest.

“I understand,” Bellenos said. “Because the two brothers are grown, and the son isn’t.”

“I think so,” Dermot said. “Don’t you think the son is useless?”
“The half? Yes. At home, we’d eat him,” Bellenos said.” 


   
Charlaine Harris

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images