Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

9:31 AM


Title: Of Poseidon

Author: Anna Banks
Publisher:  Feiwel & Friends
Publication date: May 22, 2012
How I got the copy: Library

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.



-   Hilarious
-   Both Emma and Galin's Point of View
-  I want to buy it!

The first page of this had me laughing right away.  It begins with Emma running straight into a hot guy's abs on the beach.  I think it's the most entertaining opening of a book I've read in awhile.  I was afraid the humor would fizzle out as the book progressed, but it didn't.  I was laughing out loud the whole way through.  Emma's humor was somewhat similar to Sophie from Hex Hall, but not as snarky.  I especially loved the way Emma and Galen interacted and Toraf and Rayna interacted.  I love when people flirt/banter in books.  Emma's stubborn and deliberately does what Galen tells her not to.  That was kind of annoying, but I know I'd do the same thing if I were her.  Galen is what seems to be typical now: over protective, obsessive, and hot.  But it wasn't like Edward Cullen syndrome.  He actually had good reasons to want to protect and be obsessed with her so it was more endearing than annoying.  Toraf is goofy and he was similar to Roar in Under the Never Sky.  He's kind of like a big brother to Emma and he is the comic relief.  Rayna really bothered me at first, but she's just misunderstood.  



This was my first mermaid book so I had been really skeptical going into it.  I'm glad I put those worries aside because it was actually a whole new world to dive into (pun intended).  I wish we could have seen Galen's home a little more, but I'm sure that'll come in book two.  It definitely made me open to reading other mermaid books in the future.


The plot is pretty fast paced.  I feel like so much happened in such a small book.  It didn't feel rushed though.  It actually kept my attention the whole time (read it in two days).  The romance in all characters builds slowly which you know I always appreciate.  And the ending, while not a huge cliffhanger, was enough to make me so mad that the second book isn't out yet.  I need to know what happens!  


I got this one out of the library for my goodreads group book of the month.  I'm planning on buying it soon because I know I'll want to reread it.  I never usually buy books I've already gotten from the library.  I think the only other book I've done that with is Divergent.  So that's saying a lot!  I recommend this one to everyone.  Go get it now!



"But sprinting with tears blurring my vision and while wearing flip-flops is a lack of respect for human life, starting with my own.  So then, I am not surprised when the door to the cafeteria opens into my face.  I am a little surprised when everything goes black."-Of Poseidon

"And I meet my threshold for embarrassment.  Tripping is bad enough.  Tripping into someone is much worse.  But if that someone has a body that could make sculpted statues jealous--and thinks you've broken your nose on one of his pecs--well that's when tripping runs a distant second to humane euthanasia." -Of Poseidon


    Xpresso Reads  



You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images