Amish Vs. Abnegation

1:18 AM

Ever watch the show Breaking Amish?  A few months ago I was watching this show and out of nowhere I just starting thinking about how much the Amish lifestyle reminded me of the Abnegation factor in the Divergent series.  

  A few months later I read Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins where an English girl falls for an Amish boy.  And again I just kept comparing the two lifestyles.  

I've sort of become fascinated by this way of life.  It makes sense on paper that stripping our lives of electronics and greed would be good, but I don't think I could handle getting rid of all of it.  There are times I think I like the Amish lifestyle, but then I think (excuse the language)  
I'd never be able to live without indoor plumbing, microwaves, pants, books, etc.  The week we lost electricity from hurricane sandy I had to take cold showers by candle light and it was terrible!

Anyways, got a little side tracked there, but here's what I've noticed while reading. 

For those of you who have read Divergent...have you seen any other similarities?  And would you be able to live in an Amish community or Abnegation faction?



You Might Also Like

12 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images