{Review} I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

11:49 AM



Title: I've Got Your Number
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Number of Pgs. 433
Publication date: February 14, 2012
Publisher: The Dial Press
Genre: Adult Fiction, Chick Lit
How I got the copy: Library


From Goodreads:

I’ve lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn’t supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It’s been in Magnus’s family for three generations. And now the very same day his parents are coming, I’ve lost it. The very same day! Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive :) !!

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.


I've been using a new way of reviewing that I saw over at Making the Grade.  It breaks the book down and makes it easier to rate.  The way it works is each category gets a score out of ten points.  Then you add them all up + 50 (50% automatically for each book) and that's your score out of 100.

Plot 6/10: I always enjoy Kinsella's books.  They're cute and funny and make me smile.  This one did not disappoint.  But this is the first time I'm reading one of her books after reading YA for so long so I think my expectations for plot lines have gone up since.  Her plots are always very predictable.  I guessed what would happen at the end within the first two chapters.  But nonetheless, I enjoyed it a lot.  It should be a romantic comedy movie someday.  

Characters 7/10: Poppy is impulsive which gets her into all sorts of hilarious trouble.  She's also a people pleaser which I relate to...doing anything to make people happy and like her.  Sam is reserved and the complete opposite of Poppy.  I enjoyed watching their friendship grow because it happened in a way that my generation often does these days...through texting.  Magnus, Poppy's fiancé, was really annoying and stuck up.  I hate when characters make up excuses for their bad boyfriends.  It's frustrating.  There weren't any really unique characters that stood out to me except Poppy.  She was pretty good, but again typical Kinsella smart, but flighty character.

Setting 8/10: I love books set in London.  I also liked that this wasn't one of those books set in an office as most chick lit are.  Poppy is a type of physical therapist so between that, her future in laws house, sam's office, and lots of other locations this book had many different scenes.  It kept it interesting.

Pacing 8/10: Kinsella's books are always pretty fast paced.  Something's always happening which I love.  I read this in about two days pretty much.  It was an easy read even thought it's 433 pages.

Style 9/10: I always love Kinsella's style.  Her characters get themselves into some pretty funny messes.  I always read all her books without even caring what the back cover says.  I know it'll be good.

Final Thoughts: If you like romantic comedies you should definitely try this book.
Total: 88/100 
 
“I've never felt so bereft and panicky. What do I do without my phone? How do I function? My hand keeps automatically reaching for my phone in its usual place in my pocket. Every instinct in me wants to text someone, 'OMG, I've lost my phone! ' but how can do that without a bloody phone?” 
― Sophie KinsellaI've Got Your Number

“I have no idea what to say next. I don't speak Japanese, I don't know anything about Japanese business or Japanese culture. Apart from sushi. But I can't exactly go up to him and say "Sushi!" out of the blue. It would be like going up to a top American businessman and saying "T-bone steak!” 
― Sophie KinsellaI've Got Your Number



from my goodreads friends!
  
  
   

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images