{Book & Movie Review} The Host

12:13 AM


Number of Pgs.: 619 

Publication date: May 6, 2008
Publisher: Stephanie Meyer
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian
How I got the copy: Bought (for $6 at B&N!)
Rating:  4 stars
From Goodreads:

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.
Plot: 6/10
Characters: 7/10
Setting: 7/10
Pacing: 5/10
Style: 5/10
Cover:  It's typical Stephanie Meyer's black cover with one focal point.  It's kind of boring, but I love the reflective eye!
30+50=80 (4 Stars)

Yesterday I saw the movie so this is going to be a joint book & movie review!

Reading this book involved using a lot of imagination because some of the concepts were really out there and if you really thought about them (which after 600 pages--that's a lot of thinking) you'd realize that some of the concepts don't make sense.  So there's these Souls that inhabit the species on the planets they take over.  And they don't use any force or violence ever yet they've managed to take over 12+ planets?  I think she did a great job getting the reader to think about how the human race has really turned violent without making it too obvious like in the Hunger Games.  But she also showed how when disaster strikes everyone helps each other like during natural disasters.
The Movie: This world seemed more Sci Fi then in the book and I'm not sure why they did that.  I didn't picture it that way at all.

Wanda is such a weak character at first and Melanie is so strong, but over time I grew to love both of them.  I was glad Wanda didn't let her emotions rule her and do stupid things (like Nora in Hush Hush), but she was too compassionate which was hard to relate to.  Jamie was adorable and pulled at my heart strings.
The Movie: I felt like it was too plot focused and there wasn't enough time to get emotionally attached to the characters.  And since they couldn't show Wanda and Mel talking in their head she had to turn around and speak out loud every time they had a conversation.  And the voice overs were a little stupid at times.  Jamie was hardly in the movie at all which I also hated, but I will say that the movie was well cast.


This book was too long in my opinion.  I was hooked and read every single word, but around page 450 I began to wonder if it was ever going to end.  I think that's why the movie wasn't too great because they had to compress 600 pages into a 2 hr movie.
The Movie: Walter, Sharon, Lacey, and Jodi were all cut.  They were crucial characters so I was kinda pissed. I looooved Jared in the movie more and hated Ian-- while in the book I loved Ian and hated Jared.  Might be because Max Irons is RIDICULOUSLY deliciously hot!  There were so many make out scenes that felt really random to me, but I didn't mind because it was Max.
He's British--enough said!
So should you go see the movie?  If you've read the book then yes.  It was pretty good and definitely worth seeing the world come to life.  If you haven't read the book...I wouldn't waste your $10 honestly.  Wait till it comes to DVD and rent it.  And if you haven't read the book?  I think it's worth a read, just make sure you have time because it's really long!
“This place was truly the highest and the lowest of all worlds - the most beautiful senses, the most exquisite emotions.. the most malevolent desires, the darkest deeds. Perhaps it was meant to be so. Perhaps without the lows, the highs could not be reached.” 
― Stephenie MeyerThe Host

“Fine,' Jared snapped. 'But if you try cuddling up to me tonight... so help me, O'Shea."
Ian chuckled. ' Not to sound overly arrogant, but to be perfectly honest, Jared, were I so inclined, I think I could do better.” 
― Stephenie MeyerThe Host

“So when he touched me, it was deeper and slower than the wildfire, like the flow of molten rock far beneath the surface of the earth. Too deep to feel the heat of it, but it moved inexorably, changing the very foundations of the world with its advance.” 
― Stephenie MeyerThe Host
        

    

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images