{Review} The Art of Wishing

8:03 AM


Number of Pgs.: 314 

Publication date: March 21, 2013
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA, Supernatural
How I got the copy: Library
Rating:  3 stars
From Goodreads:

He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.


Margo McKenna has a plan for just about everything, from landing the lead in her high school play to getting into a good college. So when she finds herself in possession of a genie's ring and the chance to make three wishes, she doesn't know what to do. Why should she put her life into someone else's hands?

But Oliver is more than just a genie -- he's also a sophomore at Margo's high school, and he's on the run from a murderer. As he and Margo grow closer, she discovers that it will take more than three wishes to save him.

A whole lot more.
Plot: 4/10
Characters: 8/10
Setting: 5/10
Pacing: 4/10
Style: 6/10
Cover:  This cover caught my eye a while back and I instantly wanted to read it.  I love the clouds in the background and the two people lounging on the bed.  Are they friends or together?  The red guitar contrasts nicely and the font is so cute!
27+50=77 (3 Stars)

I hate when I am highly anticipating a book and then it's nothing that I thought it would be.  Unfortunately, this was the case with this book.  I was expecting a girl to find a genie and wish for something, have it turn out terrible, and spend her last two wishing trying to get the wording right so she doesn't mess it up.  It's called the ART of wishing so I figured that meant it was about the way she wished.  The plot was kind of flat until about 2/3 through the book where suddenly everything gets really complex and then my interest was finally sparked.  I stayed up really late to finish the book after that. 

I loved how Margo and Oliver interacted.  It felt real.  And Margo herself felt like the most realistic High Schooler I'd ever read.  The way she spoke, thought, acted was all very authentic.  The bad guy was a little too...typical villain...at first, but like the rest of the characters he gains depth as the book progresses.  I loved the minor snark and many book/tv references Margo uses.  


If you decide to read this don't let the slow paced beginning discourage you.  The last half of the book was definitely worth it.  That ending, while predictable, made me want to throw my book across the room...until I read the acknowledgements and found out that this is going to be a series!  I can't wait to find out what's in store for Margo next...especially after that ending!!!  If you're looking for a fun, light, supernatural read--you should definitely try this book!  
“Are you seriously telling me the truth about all this?" I asked.
"I seriously am," he replied. "I was also serious about stealing a fry.” 
― Lindsay RibarThe Art of Wishing
        

    

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Melissa has read 16 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Flickr Images